Tuesday 5 April 2011

I've Cracked Take a Break!


I haven’t been about much, have I? I'm so sorry! But it’s mainly because I haven’t had much to say for myself! But guess what? I finally have! Oh yes, indeed! After seventeen rejections – yes, seventeen, I’ve sold two stories (both in the same email!) to Take A Break! I feel like I’ve won the lottery, frankly - As it was one of my goals, you see - To crack this seemingly unbreakable magazine! So today I've got to whiz my agreement with Bauer Publishing over – ooh, get me - and send through my stories as attachments. (Thank goodness I saved a copy of each, named 'copy I sent to TAB' or I'd be in a right ol' pickle.)

In other news, I’ve had two stories in That’s Life! Australia – with fantastic illustrations. And if you’re reading lovely Australian Womag Writer – thanks again for sending both stories to me!

I’ve also had a story in My Weekly since we last spoke – with the most beautiful illustration of a mother and baby I ever did see.

Plus, I’ve reached dizzy heights with stories ‘out there’. Thirty, in fact – so I’m a one-woman- story-producing-machine, just lately!

There’s always a bit of bad news when you write, it goes with the territory. And mine is that Lovely Agent turned down my novel for the third time, with more helpful hints on what I’m doing wrong. I think I’ve now edited it to death. It’s a poor shadow of its formal self, and clearly needs bed rest. So I've started a BRAND NEW novel. It’s grittier and not at all chick-lit, and I’m really enjoying it to be honest – and almost 20,000 words in.


Oh, and I must say, I was thrilled to receive this gorgeous award. So a HUGE thank you to Maria and Suzy.





And to end on a HIGH I met up with some of the members of my Womag2Weekly group a couple of weeks ago, in Peterborough. It was so LOVELY putting faces to names of fellow short story writers, and gossiping about the various magazines. I’m sure a few editors’ ears were burning – we only said lovely things – honest!

Added 7.4.11: I must admit I'm constantly overwhelmed by how lovely fellow womag writers are. And I've suddenly realised I never mentioned how thrilled I was when Bernadette sent me her TL! Summer fiction special, with my story in it (hangs head in shame)- so thanks again Bernadette - much appreciated!


35 comments:

joanne fox said...

Well done on TaB. Hearing your news gives me hope, as I've yet to sell anything there despite numerous subs. (I daren't count them - I'll only depress myself!)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Congratulations, I look forward to reading your stories. Thirty stories is so impressive, well done you.

Sorry to hear about Lovely Agent turning your book down again, but it must have something for her to read it three times. Good luck with your WiP.x

Karen said...

Such brilliant news - it just shows that persistence and talent pay off in the end! Fingers crossed for the other 30 :o))

Flowerpot said...

That sounds brilliant news Mandy - well done you on all counts!

Paula RC said...

Well Done Amanda! what a great recovery to make after 17 rejections.

Paula RC said...

Well done Amanda! what a great recovery after having seventten rejections.
Good luck with your new novel.

Old Kitty said...

Hello there!!!! Awwwww welcome back and WHAT A RETURN!!!! You did it!! TAB is YOURS!!! YAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!

Onwards and upwards for you!! Take care
x

suzy doodling said...

Great stuff Amanda. You now know exactly what they want. Well done. Keep up the good work. Try another agent with the book. To read it three times is certainly worth persevering with.

Bluestocking Mum said...

wow Amanda, that's fab news! Well done on cracking TAB.
A really positive, upbeat post.

And I agree with Suzy - for that agent to have looked at your novel three times there MUST be something promising. If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try and try again!

x

Amanda said...

Hi Joanne, and thank you :-) I remember another womag writer saying she’d cracked after lots and lots of subs, which gave me hope!
It really is worth persevering.

Thank you, Debs. I must admit the day the agent’s letter came, so did a rejection from WW, plus I poured tea all over my laptop! Not a good day. It is good that she read it three times, but it some ways makes it worse that I JUST can’t get it right!

I don’t know about the talent bit, Karen ;-OO but thank you muchly!

Thank you, FP! :-))

I’m still on cloud 9, Jarmara – although it’s beginning to wear off a bit – cloud 6 or something!

Ooh, lovely to see you here Old Kitty. Thank you for your support! X

Hello Suzy, you’re right – I can sort of see why these two stories are different from the other 17, but whether I can reproduce a similar style is another thing – time will tell! :-)

Hi Bluestocking Mum, good to see you back! And yes, never giving up is definitely the key! x

Sherri said...

Well done on the acceptances, Amanda.

And it was a pleasure to send the mag. I think it's a bit like 'pay it forward' in the womag world - you might not help out the same person who helped you, but you help someone else and it all comes around in the end, like yesterday when lovely Suzanne sent me the Weekly News from November that I'd missed!

Maria said...

What fab news, Amanda! Well done!

Pat Posner said...

Hey, you go missing for weeks then come back with fantastic womag news! I'm sure your post will act as a kick up the behind, don't give up, keep writing, keep subbing for more people than me.

Hugs on the agent but do try other agents.

xxPat

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Great news, congratulations, Mandy.

BTW, Bernadette is right about the 'paying it forward' philosophy. A few weeks back Elissa Graham sent me a magazine from Australia - and that was exactly what she said when she refused payment. Womag writers are the best.

XX

Colette McCormick said...

Yay for the stories boo about the agent.

Amanda said...

Thank you, Bernadette. And thanks again for sending me the issue. And you are right about womag world. :-)

Thank you, Maria!

Well hello there, Pat. :-) Yes, I’m a definite example of how you should never give up. Xx

Thanks Suz! And yes, three cheers to Australian womag writers – they are such a wonderful bunch! XX

Thank you Colette! My poor novel feels deeply rejected. Did you see how I put the rejection onto the novel rather than me – I don't feel rejected at all - HA! (I'm lying of course)

Sarah Evans said...

Well done on TAB Mandy! Everything sounds fab for you! Thirty stories?! Boy oh boy, do I have a long way to go! :oD x

Caroline said...

Posting late - sorry - but fantastic news on TAB - well done you! Caroline x

Amanda said...

Thank you, Sarah. :-) x

Thanks, Caroline! x

reehasmith said...

Great news for me also, i have a strong belief on that the hard worker will surely get reward at the end

Kath McGurl said...

Great news! And I agree, womag writers are the best!

Amanda said...

I agree, Reehasmith

Thanks Womag! They are certainly a great bunch!

Anonymous said...

Proof that persistence pays. Well done.

Amanda said...

Thanks Captain! :-)

Patsy said...

Congratulations on you TaB double - that's very impressive.

Amanda said...

Thank you Patsy :-))

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You deserve to feel like you've won the lottery. WEll done for your perseverence! :O)

Amanda said...

Thank you, Madeleine, that's very kind! :-)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Amanda .. I followed you over from Madeleine's site Scribbles and Edits .. your comment about the OUs Creative Writing course interested me!

Good luck and it certainly seems like things are slotting into place - well done. The novel will come I am sure ..

Cheers Hilary

Amanda said...

Hi Hilary,

Nice of you to drop by - you are very welcome.

The OU course was excellent - would recommend it fully.

:-)

Diane Fordham said...

WELL DONE! :-)

penandpaints said...

That's terrific news about TAB! Well done! That must have been a great feeling, who needs the lottery? :)

Amanda said...

Thank you, Diane :-)

Exactly, Pen and Paints! I know I won the lottery once (£1,600 with five numbers - all spent now though) and the buzz was very similar! x

Denise Covey said...

Congrats on your persistence which resulted in your success. It's great to see your story in print! I have one coming out in Thats Life next month. I read your previous post. I always email the editor at TL after a reasonable time and I've always received polite letters from the editor telling me which stories he didn't want, which he was considering and which he wanted.

Denise

I would like to follow you but don't see how I can.

Amanda said...

Hi Denise,

Congrats on your story in That's Life next month. I love selling to TL! as they have such love drawings, much like My Weekly!

That's very interesting too that the editor let you know which stories he's considering, and really helpful of him. I may try sending over an email as I have a few with him at the moment.

I had taken my follower thingy off of my profile - but I'm about to pop it back on! :-) x