Tuesday, 14 February 2017

Who invented blogging, and has it died a death?


Apparently a young man called Justin Hall created the first blog on Links.net in 1994, and he called it his personal homepage. Online diaries and journals have been about since around that time. Of course, they weren’t known as blogs, but it was the start of blogging as we know it.  

The blog was independently invented by Ian Ring, in 1997, and lots more on the evolution of blogging can be found HERE

My own step into blogging came in 2008, when I set up another blog in the name of Annie Bright, and talked about my dream to have a story published one day. 

Annie Bright
Eventually, when I sold a story to My Weekly, and came out of the Annie Bright closet and said who I really was – and I’m glad I did, as I made so many super friends through blogging.

I moved here in 2009 and blogged manically for a few years, before joining Facebook, like so many other bloggers, and ended up neglecting my blog – but I do sometimes miss those day, when writing and blogging was shiny new.  And I have wondered, since I ventured back into the world of blogging, whether it’s not what it once was. It is extremely quiet compared to how it had once been.

I suppose people live such hectic lives, so Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vlogging and the like, get our points across so quickly.

But you know what? I still think there’s a place for blogging, and there are still some fantastic blogs out there for writers and just about everything else.

Like Womag’s Blog – which was started by the lovely Kath McGurl, and is now run by the equally lovely Patsy Collins. Both fabulous writers.  It was definitely my go-to place when I started writing short stories for women’s magazines, and I still pop over as it’s updated regularly by Patsy. And I'd really recommend it to new writers.

Of course, if blogging didn’t exist *my novel The Cold wouldn’t even have a storyline, as many of the chapters are written as a travel blog, and I certainly wouldn’t have been able to blog my novels at all.  And I've been in a super-lovely private blog since 2010, where writer friends post stories and generally chat about this and that, and that's all thanks to blogging.  And actually, you know what, I do quite like the slower pace here in Blogland.

So here’s a huge thank you to Justin Hall and Ian Ring, and everyone else involved in making blogging possible. Blogging still has a huge place on the internet and is still alive and kicking in my book. I still have a soft spot for it, and think I always will have.

*Yes, I did mention my novel again - sorry!

6 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Amanda - I definitely think there's a place for blogging and bloggers - somewhere - where we can spend a little longer with our and others writing - not the mad dash Tweet, FB or roll-over ...

well done on publishing your novel - "The Cold" ... then having a private group of friends who blog must help ...

It give us a little time to think ... so cheers Hilary

Amanda said...

I agree, Hilary. I definitely like the slower pace of blogging. :-)

Karen Clarke said...

Ooh, how interesting, I hadn't thought about how blogging started but I'm glad it did. I'd never have met you otherwise :o)

I still love blogging, even though I don't do it as often as I used to. It's more like an intimate conversation at a nice dinner party, rather than shouting to be heard at a big, noise party (Twitter, I'm talking about you!)

It's funny how social media is woven through modern fiction, and sometimes it works really well - like in The Cold - but sometimes it can get in the way. Occasionally, I've had to rethink a story line because the character could have solved the 'mystery' by looking on Google or Facebook!

Amanda said...

That's true, Karen. A big thumbs up for blogs for that reason alone. :-)

I often think of setting my twists and mysteries in fiction at a time before the internet - but then that can open another can of worms trying to make sure the era is correct.

Wendy's Writing said...

I've been regularly blogging (once a week) since 2012 and, like you, love the slow pace. I don't think blogging is dead as I've found this year my pageviews have been at their highest. I think bogging goes hand in hand with Facebook/Twitter as when I advertise my blog on either of these, it gets read many more times. Please stay with us in Blogland, Amanda!

Amanda said...

I think you are right, Wendy, blogging is still as popular, and it's lovely to slow down a bit. Yes, I will be sticking around now. :-)